Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Think Piece

You know what I like to do? I like to sit in a comfortable chair, stare into space, and think. Although maybe 'think' isn't the right term, because I'm not trying to solve anything, or come to a particular conclusion. I like to hold an idea in my head. I take great joy from this; it's when I feel the most calm, and content. To ruminate on an idea or concept or, like now, a theory...


 Evolution is a fantastic theory, because while its core is somewhat easy to grasp, its process isn't. Millions of different factors influencing millions of different organisms over millions of years. Wondering just what the hell would exist if we had an atmosphere with 3% more methane during the triasic period? What would the primary organ for gathering information about our surroundings be if the eye hadn't come about? Are we Evolution's pinnacle? (When people argue that yes, we are the winners of its grand prize, they point to things like imagination, philosophy, and  tool-making. But the thing that tips me off to us being the dominant species is, we are the only life form to have ever existed that is capable of destroying an entire planet, wiping out every single thing Evolution has produced.) They say that if you can get paid doing what you love, you'll never work a day in your life. But how can I make cash thinking the kinds of thoughts generally attributed to stoners? And not particularly intelligent stoners at that? But that's not why I do it; I'm not looking to impress anyone, or add an addendum to an already widely accepted theory or concept. I just want to express wonderment at life, death, the universe, the sciences, and really anything that's bigger than myself. Sometimes, like now, I write down some of the things I think about. But I'm no great wordsmith, and I find the ideas I have that are beautiful, amazing things made of hope and wonder and dreams come out and land on the page as malformed horrors, stillborn and unrecognizable. And yet still I try, hoping to one day get across that calm contentment so that can come from simply taking the time to hold an idea in your mind for its' own sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment